Friday, March 15, 2013

Tony's - Battersea, London






If you look up the word understated then right next to it you'd probably find a picture of Tony's. Tony's is a brilliant old school greasy spoon that is nestled amid the more fancy restaurants and shops on the Northcote Road. 


There is absolutely nothing fancy about this place though. The booths have peeling leather seats, the tables are very well lived and the walls are adorned with boards and pictures of their specials of the day.

When I went I had a Poached Egg on Toast with a side of Bacon. My partner had a Bacon Sandwich. Both arrived exactly as expected: basic and simple. We didn't go here for Cordon Bleu cooking after all.

I first heard about this place when reading a book written by an adman named Russell Davies. In his spare time Russell would go to greasy spoons, picture them and then write about them. I really appreciated his blog turned book when I first stumbled upon it. The book not only tells you where to go for a good old English fry up, but it also chronicles the fast dying British Cafe.

Aside from breakfast you can also get things like Chilli Con Carne with Rice, Fish and Chips, Gammon Steak etc... When I was there an old lady with a trolley walked in for some breakfast and a cup of tea. You could tell that she'd been going for decades. It was nice to see a local cafe with a loyal customer base.

Our breakfast cost around £3 (cheap I'm sure you'll agree). I would go back again for something a bit more substantial. I just hope it's still there. The Telegraph recently wrote that 'the death knell is sounding for the traditional "greasy spoon' and
'Britons are opting for a coffee and pastry at American-style coffee shops, leaving lorry drivers without the option of white toast, margarine, sausage, beans, chips and a bottomless mug of tea.' I just hope their wrong.


Tony's Cafe
6/10
74 Northcote Road
London, SW11 6QL
0207 228 0929


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment