Sunday, March 17, 2013

Bangkok Bay - Battersea, London








Bangkok Bay is an unassuming little Thai restaurant on Battersea Park Road. We went for dinner around 7pm on a Saturday night. The place was empty when we arrived but took no time at all to fill up.

The menu was hilarious. 5 laminated pages complete with grainy photographs of each dish. I have no idea why restaurants think this is a good idea. It cheapens the entire experience and the pictures never do the food justice.

The decor was equally hilarious. We had canvases of horses on our left and a Thai mural of sorts on our right. It was confused to say the least.

My friend and I shared the Vegetable Spring Rolls which consisted of 6 small pieces (£3.95). They were ok, perfectly decent. My other friend had the Papaya Salad (£5.75) which was delicious. A lovely mix of green papaya, chilli, garlic and beans in a Thai sauce. She was best pleased.

I followed with the Panang Curry with Tofu (a steal at £6) but rice needed to be ordered separately. It was thick and creamy but a little sweet for my palate so I requested lots of chilli and soy sauce. Once I adapted it I liked it a lot more. My friends had the Pad Thai with Tofu (£6) and the Pad Khing with Tofu (£6). The Pad Khing comprised of ginger, onion, mushrooms, carrots and pepper in a gravy that was very reminiscent of black bean sauce. Chicken in Black Bean is my go to dish when ordering Chinese food so I liked it, she however found it a little salty. The Pad Thai was just as it should be, not amazing but not bad either.

All in all the food was acceptable but the decor and ambience left a little to be desired. We spent a total of £49.10 for the meal which isn't bad for starters, mains and drinks for 3 people.

I asked my friends what rating they would give the experience and they gave a resounding 6.5. I'm in agreement because it was good but not great.

Bangkok Bay
6.5
246 Battersea Park Road
London SW11 3BP
0207 223 5924
www.bangkokbay.co.uk


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment