Monday, March 11, 2013

Battersea Tandoori - London




This was an off the cuff, out of the blue visit to a restaurant that lives close to home. In my opinion Indian restaurants are all pretty similar. You get your bog standard dishes such as Vindaloo, Madras, Biryanis etc... This place is much the same, however I appreciated that my Lamb Vindaloo was hot (not for people that think heat is a few grinds of black pepper, this was nicely hot). I also loved the fact they served Mulligatawny, which is hardly ever found on Indian menus these days. This curried lentil soup was lovely, it had the perfect balance of hot and sour. My husband was a little disappointed with his Chicken Curry as it was a little sweet (he loves sweet things, but if a curry is sweet then let us know beforehand). The Nan was fine, Pappadoms too and they came with your regular dips consisting of onion salad, sweet chutney and an unknown dip which I believe was tamarind based.

I want to go to a Michelin starred Indian to see if they can do any better. A curry in India costs around 10 pence so I wonder if these fancy chefs i.e. Atul Kotcher at Benares can do any better than your local. I know the presentation would be a picture but is the taste really that different? We'll see when I go.

If I want a curry i'm happy to go to Battersea Tandoori. It's standard Indian food, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Battersea Tandoori Indian Restaurant
6.5/10
515 Battersea Park Road
SW11 3BN
020 924 2712


View Larger Map





No comments:

Post a Comment