Monday, March 11, 2013

Fish in a Tie - Battersea, London




I took my mum here for Mother's Day. We went for lunch on a Friday. When we walked in the restaurant only had a few diners. It took no time at all for the place to fill out though. A good sign we thought, because in this day and age who can afford to go out for lunch in the middle of their work day?

The decor was lovely, yet understated all at once. I can imagine that at night, with the warm light of candlelit tables it can be a very romantic place to go. The upstairs was small, accommodating around 20 people, but there is a downstairs as well.

The service was impeccable. The one waitress working was enthusiastic, polite and helpful. It really made our meal more enjoyable.

You can choose from two separate menus at Fish in a Tie. First there's the 2 courses for £10 menu and then the 'a la carte' menu (both of which are incredibly reasonable). I ordered from the 2 for £10 menu that started with Calamari followed by the Fishcake (all the mains come with a selection of vegetables). My mum ordered from the 'a la carte' and started with the Moules Mariniere in a cream, wine, garlic and shallot sauce (£5.25) followed by the Seabass (£9.95).

My Calamari was lovely. The danger of ordering something like Calamari when you're in a city is it's often fried from frozen. This wasn't, resulting in it being mighty tender. My only qualm was that the Tartare Sauce was effectively mayonnaise and perhaps the coating on the calamari could have been a little crispier. The sauce that came with my mum's Moules was lovely but unfortunately there were around 4 or 5 that weren't open, which as we all know is a big no no with shellfish.

My main was good. I liked the crispy potatoes and the other veg weren't overdone. The fishcake could have possibly done with a little more fish and the texture was a little cakey, but still enjoyable. My mums seabass wasn't filleted which meant there were quite a few bones, however you can't fault them for that as it didn't state filleted on the menu. The fish was very well cooked and came with the same vegetables.

The name of this restaurant does lead one to believe that it's a fish restaurant, however they also offer specials, steak, pasta, chicken etc... I would describe it more as Mediterranean. 

My mum and I enjoyed our meals despite the slight imperfections. There were certainly elements of our respective dishes that I think could have been improved, however at these prices they are doing a great job. The overall experience was lovely and I will certainly be going back.

Fish in a Tie
7/10
105 Falcon Road
London, SW11 2PF
0207 924 1913
www.fishinatie.com


View Larger Map


No comments:

Post a Comment