Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Loon Fung Supermarket - Chinatown, London






If you want the most authentic and varied Chinese supermarket then look no further than Loon Fung. It lies smack damn in the middle of Gerrard Street in Chinatown where not only can you shop but can eat proper Oriental food as well. At first I was a little overwhelmed by the vast amount of different ingredients on offer and the rather narrow aisles with people pushing past me to find what they were looking for. I don't know how to speak Chinese so I had no idea what most of the things were and the staff weren't much help. That was part of the fun though.

They have lovely exotic fresh produce. I bought the leafy green called Morning Glory and a long vegetable that looked like a green bean. I smelt it and it was strong with garlic. I later found out that uncooked its like eating raw garlic but when cooked it becomes quite sweet. It's known as Garlic Stems or Suan Miao. I also learnt that it's virtually impossible to find in London so I felt lucky to have stumbled upon it and even more lucky to have been introduced to a new ingredient. I ended up using it in a stir fry and the end result was delicious.

In addition to the fresh produce they also have a frozen section filled with dumpling/dim sum etc, aisle upon aisle of sauces, spices, dips, crisps, sweets etc... And at the back there's a meat section and a section dedicated to Chinese kitchenware (I left with a wok and bamboo steamer).

I wouldn't call it overly expensive, which is surprising considering I imagine it's all imported. It's a truly wonderful place. I really struggled not to spend spend spend in there.

Loon Fung Supermarket
10/10
42 - 44 Gerrard Street
London, W1D 5QG
0207 437 7332


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment