Saturday, March 16, 2013

Manicomio - Duke of York Square, London





It's expensive and a little pretentious, but there again you are in the middle of Sloany Square. The restaurant is just off the main road in a paved little street that sits behind the main King's Road drag.

There is an outside setting area for those that wish to crank up the heating lamp and brave the cold, but my friend and I headed in. The restaurant is narrow with lines of tables to your left and a deli on your right (there's a bigger dinning room in the back but it wasn't open when we went). The deli comprises of cakes, biscuits and a myriad of different vegetable and meat dishes such as roasted butternut squash, marinated grilled aubergines etc... They also have different sorts of pasta dishes on offer. 

If you choose not to order from the deli counter then you can try the 'a la carte' menu or the less formal cafe menu, both of which consist of your typical Italian fare (Antipasti, Pasta, Meat, Fish etc...). It's worthy of note that you can only order from the 'a la carte' when seated in the main dinning area, and the deli/cafe menu in the deli area. A bit silly in my opinion.

I was tempted to have the Longhorn Beef Short Rib with Potato Puree but I wasn't hungry enough to fork out £24.50 and I wasn't seated in the dinning area anyway. I was also tempted with the Antipasti platter after noticing a couple having a right old time tucking into the board (£13.95 for one). However I opted for the Soup of the Day, which turned out to be Chicken (£8.75) and my friend had a Cookie (£2.50) from the deli.

We waited a little longer than we should have but they were busy so we forgave it. My soup arrived pipping hot and with three varieties of bread (I had to ask for butter though). The soup in itself was lovely. It had huge bits of chicken running through it, and was chunky and hearty. The selection of breads (olive, raisin and white) were also very good and I appreciated the variety.

The food is very well done. The ingredients are clearly well sourced and of superior quality, hence the price. The cheapest thing on their breakfast menu is a Croissant with Cotto Ham and Asiago at £4.95. A bit steep in my opinion but I'm sure the quality of the produce is brilliant. 

I only hope that the price is reflective of the high quality and not the affluent area they live in. My cynical side thinks it is, but with that said I would go back if it was a special occasion. I did like their menu and now trust their food.

Manicomio
8/10
85 Duke of York Square
London, SW3 4LY
0207 730 3366
www.manicomio.co.uk


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment