Saturday, November 2, 2013

Rotunda Bar & Restaurant - Kings Place, London




It wouldn’t be fair to give a lengthy review of Rotunda’s food as we only had a bar snack, however a few words about the ambience, service and setting would be fair to comment on.

We went to watch a film and gig. In the interim we stopped here because it was right in the middle of the venue and time was of the essence. In that vain we stuck to something quick, which turned out to be their Chunky Chips in Beef Dripping. They were very good (crispy, fluffy, hot) but we were shocked that we literally got a handful for £4.

I can see why Rotunda works as it’s got a lovely outside area on the water. The vibe works for the late twenties and up crowd who are perhaps stopping in pre or post show. When we went the bar was busy so not a great deal of emphasis was on the food, which was probably a good thing because we’d of been hard pressed to of found a table. The service was slow but then again the bar staff were rammed.

I can imagine that by day sitting outside by the water while having a bite to eat would be a lovely thing, however the price of the food is steep, and the restaurant has no accolades to warrant it. It’s one of those ‘I’m going to make English food sound fancy by adding the word béarnaise wherever I can and telling you where I source my meat so I can charge £5 more per plate’ type menus.

I wouldn’t eat here, but I would have a drink if I was waiting to see a show (for the aforementioned reasons). In future if I find myself going back to Kings Place I’ll give myself enough time to go to one of the many restaurants in King’s Cross that are far less pretentious, more delicious, and wouldn’t send me bankrupt: Fore rib of beef on the bone, bèarnaise sauce, triple cooked chips - £26 per person. C’mon, you’re having a laugh!

Rotunda
6/10
Kings Place
90 York Way
N1 9AG
Tel: 0207 014 2840

www.rotundabarandrestaurant.co.uk



No comments:

Post a Comment