Thursday, November 7, 2013

Delight Polish Supermarket - Mitcham, London



I have Polish roots (I mean look at my name), however the food has never been a favourite of mine. I like my grandmothers Borsch but my desire to eat the food pretty much stops at that.

The other day I ventured to a newly opened Polish supermarket on Mitcham Road. I hadn’t been to a place that only sold Polish produce before so I was excited. It was clean, well organised and authentic to the point that the only other customers were Polish and the staff barely spoke a word of English. They had everything you could imagine, from cold meats and cheeses in the counter at the back, to pickles, Polish chocolate bars, frozen Pierogies, huge fresh baked breads and so on. It was all reasonably priced too. I bought a huge jar of pickled red cabbage for just over £1. 

Everything is written in Polish so I found it pretty hard to decipher what most of the things were, however not knowing added to the fun of the experience and to the feel of authenticity. I bought something simply because of its funky packaging. I still don’t know what it is (and it’s not like I could have asked the staff for help). So it could be a soup powder, or a jelly powder maybe. At any rate it’s like playing Polish-powder-roulette.

Delight Polish Supermarket
6/10
284 Mitcham Road
London
CR4 2BA

No comments:

Post a Comment